Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Getting Optimal Performance From Your Team



Getting Optimal Performance From Your Team:


What are we missing as managers when we look for solutions to draw the optimal performance from our employees?  I know the answer will not be a one size fits all solution but I had to step back.  I was too close to the problem and I was stuck.



I did what somebody a long time ago told me to do when I’m stuck.  Walk away.  Forget about it.  Go walk around – go look at something green in color because that will stimulate your brain to sweep out the cobwebs and clear your mind.  So I forgot about it for a long time until one night I had a dream about one of my mentors. 



We were sitting around in a sales meeting and my mentor had boxes of rubber bands in front of him.  He was stretching them to the point of breaking but he was doing it slowly and the anticipation of the snap was bothering some of the others in the meeting.  He didn’t say a word but I knew what he was trying to remind me of.  A long time ago he was travelling with me as my sales manager and he was talking about growth – growing as a salesman and also as a leader; about being happier and healthier and experiencing more from the world around us.  He took out a rubber band for his analogy.



“Think of this band as your comfort zone.  If you don’t leave your zone you’ll always stay this shape – you’ll have no energy.  You won’t grow.  You might as well stay in the box with the rest of the bands.” 



Then he snapped me in the forearm with that rubber band.  “That’s the tension you need in your life.  Rule #1 - Step out of your zone until the tension stretches you to your limit.  Leave a mark on people with your words and actions.  Don’t let them forget you.” 



I knew what he meant but I said it anyway.  “I’m not going to go around making welts on people with loops of elastic.”  He went to snap me again but pulled the rubber band too tight this time – it snapped back in his hand.  “Rule #2,” he said after calling me a smart ass, “Don’t step too far out of your zone.”



I took this seriously.  I used to leave my comfort zone often especially when I was on stage doing plays and musicals.  But then I got lazy.  It started when I got my first sales job and failed miserably (I talked about this experience in a previous blog).  I was bored and not feeling challenged.  The adage that you get out of it exactly what you put into it is an adage for a reason.  How true it is.



How do I as a manager take this principle and mold it to an inbound technical support call center group? Ultimately I got quite a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from applying this practice because it helped me grow, meet new people, make more friends, and generate long term business relationships.  I remember the hardest and scariest times when that rubber band was about to break as some of the best most exciting times. I was still stuck on how to apply this to my group.  Just like last time I demoted this problem to the back of my brain and forgot about it for a while.



The next revelation didn’t come in a dream but by a Kindle download.  The e-book was from one of my favorite social scientists Daniel Goleman – “The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights”.  I have read every article, journal, and book he’s written because he is the king of the emotional intelligence field.  I talk about Goleman as much as a 4 year old talks about Elmo.



Goleman is trying to understand the “flow concept” in relation to optimal performance.  He uses the Yerkes-Dodson model as an example.  Basically it’s a point on a scale (or arc) where one reaches the zone of optimal performance.  Kind of like a performance bell curve.  There must be a way to apply these principles to our management mantra.   

The flow concept emerged from research where people were asked to describe a time they outdid themselves and achieved their personal best. People described moments from a wide range of domains of expertise, from basketball and ballet to chess and brain surgery. And no matter the specifics, the underlying state they described was one and the same.1

I’m theorizing that the basis for this would be to ask somebody about a time they “stretched their rubber band” and went outside of their comfort zone.  It’s one way of prompting a response so a manager can get a better idea on what stimulates their employees to perform at their peak.  The answers can shed quite a bit of light on how we can challenge our employees – even ourselves.



There are three things that Goleman proposes to create this environment in “The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights”.  Armed with the feedback an employee has given about their finest achievements you’ll have a better idea on how to proceed.  This is the core of creating a motivating environment:



                Adjust demands to fit the person’s skills. If you manage people’s work, try to gauge their optimal level of challenge. If they're under-engaged, increase the challenge in ways that make their work more interesting – for instance by giving a stretch assignment. If they are overwhelmed, reduce the demand and give them more support (whether emotional or logistic)2
            

This may be pushing an employee to continue back to school or giving them an opportunity to advance in the company.  Not just telling them to apply for a promotion but actually creating steps for them to follow:  assigning a mentor, nesting with other managers, assisting peers who may be struggling, helping the training department, etc.  If you don’t have a mentorship or nesting program in place get one immediately. 



                Practice the relevant expertise to raise skills to meet a higher level of demand.3

                You should be creating the super agent.  Don’t be afraid to improve the work lives of your employees especially the ones that want the challenge – the ability to reach their optimum performance.  You can do this by uptraining or re-training.  If you demand a higher level of customer service, for example, create a white belt/brown belt/black belt system that people have to train, study and prove their skills to attain each belt.  You get your white belt by getting scored so high on your quality scores for a 6 month period, for example.  You can offer whatever compensation you feel will motivate your employees who attain this ranking.  You can also make it worth something when it comes to promotions.  If it will give them an advantage over somebody else who has applied for the same position without this credential then it will be a coveted and meaningful status.



                Enhance concentration abilities so you can pay more attention, because attention itself is a pathway into the flow stage.4

                        Not necessarily in the literal sense.  Sometimes giving your agents time to spend doing those things to raise their skills will be enough.  Any mentoring and coaching should be done off the call center floor preferably in a quiet office or even off campus.


How far you push is up to you as a manager.  Don’t be afraid to challenge your people to stretch their rubber bands.  If this sounds like it’s too much to tackle then maybe you should make yourself step out of your comfort zone.








1,2,3,4  Goleman, Daniel (2011-04-12). The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights (Kindle Locations 588-594). More Than Sound LLC. Kindle Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment